Give Yourself a Pat on the Back

 I was at the store today running errands. Nothing usual going on and not feeling particularly harried. Then, the check out person asks if I am having a busy day. I mumble "Yeah, sort of...I guess." cause I am out doing errands before work. They reply, "I hope you are able to rest soon." in a surprisingly serious tone. Now, this should have been a nice exchange. I could have felt seen or appreciated. I did not. I felt judged and ugly. The person was young and beautiful and I stifled the urge to reply, "When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not." I am not yet elderly but in that moment I felt it. The check out person could have been trying to offer support but I think it is more likely that they were just trying talk about something other than the 684 consecutive days of rain we've had lately. I get it. I worked in retail in the before times too which is why I should not have let it get to me. It really doesn't matter if it looked like I am living my last day on Earth after a battle with a pack of wild dogs. My appearance doesn't define me. Still, I could have used a compliment in that moment. Luckily, I had chocolate. Anyway, all of this is to say, that you should take a few moments in your journal today to write out several compliments to yourself, three at the very least. Create something pretty, something bold. Just make sure that it stands out so you remember to look when you need a lift cause you are out there rocking it every day, no matter what. Life is hard and making it through to tomorrow takes strength. You are here and you are awesome.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'd Rather Not

In Case You Ever Look Back